StudentsReview :: The Georgia Institute of Technology - Extra Detail about the Comment

Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Cambridge, MA

Friendly, Arrogant, Broken Spirit, Closeminded

SAT2110
University Resource Use
B-
She rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Mar 18 2011
Major: Industrial Operations Engineering (This Major's Salary over time)
Georgia Tech has been an absolutely incredible experience for me.. and I've read some of these comments and found that this type of recommendation is hard to come by. Through Tech I have been able to study abroad in two countries (the same summer), participate in a variety of clubs and attain leadership positions, co-op, go to awesome football games, meet an amazing guy, make snow angels, watch the GTG's perform, see a Ludacris concert, dance the night away, and get 4.0's 2 out of my 4 semesters (overall GPA right now is 3.88 and I am an engineer).

Positive:

1. Georgia Tech has great sports programs and fans… especially at football games. Freshman year games were amazing and exciting; I always left with great enthusiasm, especially at the game when everyone rushed the field. WOOH!

2. Academics are actually not that bad. I have found that classes at Tech can be tough and some of them do seem pointless, but overall I did learn a great deal from my classes. Also, I never felt screwed over with the grading I received. Did I study constantly and not make friends? Nope… I just managed my time well and studied what I knew I had to study. It is true that Tech is NOT easy and you will have to work and for many students this is not for them. However, I believe that the work was rewarding because I like a challenge and only felt overwhelmed when I procrastinated… so it's all very doable. And yes, I got a 4.0 GPA in high school but I don't think it matters how "smart" you are at Tech. It is more important that you WORK HARD and have the capabilities to absorb and utilize new information.

3. There are great resources at Georgia Tech to succeed. We have GT Success Programs, 1-1 Tutoring, Math Lab, etc. I've been fortunate to have some really amazing TA's… I've loved them all. And sure, not all of them speak perfect English but you WILL understand them. If not, go to a different TA's recitation. Also, the people I have met through the co-op program and in the office of international education are amazing and very good at their jobs (to help you!).

Negative:

1. Freshman housing is pretty bad, especially on East campus. Simple solution: If you really care that much, live in some renovated housing like Armstrong on West - which really isn't too far from everything and close to the CRC. CRC is amazing in itself. The dining hall food in both Brittain and Woodruff is not really up to par in my opinion, though somehow I have friends who enjoy it. When you move out of freshman housing you can get an apt. and cook your own food.

2. There are some people at Tech that just complain and complain and complain. They say that Tech is TOO hard and everyone is failing and the professors don't care. Ignore these people. If they are doing so badly in their classes, you should really ask if they have gone to extra tutoring, talked to the professor by going to office hours, etc. If not, then they really shouldn't say anything. Mostly, though, you will encounter really awesome people that have the same interests as you… just remember to seek them out!

questionHi,

My name is Peter Gumulia. I am currently studying industrial engineering in UW-Madison, and I have been accepted to GT as a transfer student for next semester.

I have a few questions regarding to housing options in GT. Would you recommend me to stay in the university housing or find something off campus? Do they have a dorm that is not just specifically for freshmen?

Peter