StudentsReview :: York College Pennsylvania - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityD+ Extra CurricularsB
SafetyC
Friendly, Approachable

D+
She cares more about Academic Success than the average student.
Date: Oct 22 2009
Major: Education (This Major's Salary over time)
I attend York College from 2001-2005 and had an amazing time. That said, I did my research prior to attending and I was looking for 1. A good education program, 2. A small school with a good support network in case my college experience turned difficult, 3. A school that wouldn't break my bank. York provided all of those options in spades.

A couple of notes: The education system at york will not provide the resources of a large research based institution and to be honest if you attend York you are not paying for the resources of a large research based institution.

For those who said that the curriculum isn't challenging etc. Newsflash, this school is here to prepare you for the corporate world. The education that you get is directly proportional to the work you put in. The teachers aren't there to trick you and make life hard,they are there to open you up to new concepts and ideas. What you do with those ideas is up to you, should you choose not to dive into your learning, then yes it is very easy to skate by on minimal effort.

Extra-Curriculur Activities:

As for things to do, York college has plenty of opportunities but you need to take them. Without looking all that hard in my time at the school I participated in:

1. Wrestling team - I did not stick with it but I was not a high caliber athlete and pretty much was allowed on the team as long as I felt like putting the work in. the coaches were very inclusive. (Side note: I will say I was not a fan of some of the other members of the team but they are all gone now)

2. Acted in 10 plays, Stage-managed 1 play and directed 1 play. ( The theatre program is great for students who want stage time and are not looking to make theatre their profession) Students direct at least 2 shows a year and there are generally about 4 / 5 shows a season including a student writeen and directed one-act variety show. I was not a theatre major either so it shows how open the opportunities are. (Parlayed this into a fun summer job as a stunt man for a theme park based on people I met through York theatre)

3. National co-ed honors fraternity - over 30 members at time of initiation, I did not get hazed and we had a lot of fun. All of these people were friendly and supportive and I owe a lot of my success since then to them. (Have my current job because of them)

Any place you go you will find negative or bad people, if you spend your entire time in York holed in your dorm room or on Jackson street I can see how you may have a bad impression but it is one you will get at any college you go to.

HEEEEEEEYYYY!!! IM A PROSPECTIVE STUDENT AT YCP, IM A SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL AND UR REVIEW DREW MY TTENTION, I WOULD LIKE TO MAJOR IN NURSING AND THE SCHOOL SEEMS PRETTY GOOD SO CAN U SHARE EVERYTHING U KNOW WITH ME, I WOULD LIKE TO DO A COUPLE PLAYS WITHOUT THEATER BEING MY MAJOR, DID U EVER DO MUSICALS?? IDK IF ITS JUST ME BUT IT SEEMS LIKE U ARE SAYING ITS AN AVERAGE SCHOOL, IM NOT SURE IF THATS WHAT I WANT, PLEASE GIVE ME MORE INOF!! PLEASE AND THANKS!!!
responseFrom what I understand the Nursing program is very good at York. The theatre program in recent years has gotten a big boost by the addition of a beautiful stage. At a recent reunion I heard that it is starting to get a little selective for some of the musical type shows but if you really want to get into a show look up Dr. McGhee and express interest.

The school is a very above average small private inexpensive school in my opinion. I had a blast.

York College Pennsylvania