StudentsReview :: Ithaca College - Comments and Student Experiences

Syracuse University -- Syracuse, NY

Ithaca College

The music program especially is very good atBrightMusic - Performance
The music program especially is very good at Ithaca. As a music major, I have certainly been put to work and stretched here and I do not regret the academic scene. The professors and faculty are really helpful and are interested in your progress, which is comforting.

The social scene here, though, is my least favorite. Being an introverted Asian Christian, it's been challenging here to find my niche. I find that most students are not really friendly and that there's a lack of community. The majority of students define a "fun time" as getting drunk and partying.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A, Extracurricular Activities: C
Ithaca, Ithaca, Ithaca.Quite BrightJournalism
Ithaca, Ithaca, Ithaca. I am a firm believer that with college being such a personal decision, you can't really tell how you'll like a school from what other people tell you. But this is just what I have to say...

I came to Ithaca from the west coast looking for a change of pace, looking to mix things up. I wanted to do journalism, and after hearing it's a great school for communications I decided to go with it, over schools like Bates and Colby. For me, big mistake. I wanted a liberal arts education to go along with a communications degree...and Ithaca does not do that all. You could almost say it's a technical school for journalism...you take writing/reporting class after writing/reporting class, with no real "learning". Make sure you remember this, because they will tell you differently. If you want and liberal arts education DO NOT COME HERE. The Park school is also very elitist, and although I consider myself quite smart the smugness of people got to me.

I don't know much about the other programs, but I know outside of the communications, theater, and music departments Ithaca has no clout and isn't worth the money.

The social life is mediocre. I come from a small town myself, so being away from the city didn't worry me...but Ithaca seems EXTRA small. There honestly is very little to do, even if your outdoorsy like me. Parties are everything here, it feels like a big state school how much people drink. I grew up in high school definitely enjoying myself, drinking and partying with friends, but amazingly this school has turned me off that. It's just too insane, and gets boring after awhile. Also, 99% of people are from within 200 miles of the school, making it so (while most people are nice) they're very monogamous and fall into cliques quite quickly. The college honestly seems like high school, part 2.

Ithaca is a good school if your in music, theater, and communications, and you want professional educations in them. It is not good for learning things about the world. I would not advise people coming from outside the Northeast to come here, cause you'll sort of be treated as an outsider. If you want to go a northeast school, go to a more prestigious one like Williams or Bowdoin.

I'm transferring back to the West coast, to save money (Ithaca is amazingly expensive for what you get, and they nickel and dime you for everything), but also to learn more about the world rather then just be molded into a future profession. Ithaca is quite boring and uninspiring, it, and everyone who goes there, seem to be caught in a little bubble. Just my advice, take it for what you will, I know a lot of my "friends" here absolutely love it, but they are all the cliches i mentioned above. If your not one of those cliches, avoid this school.

1st Year Male -- Class 2011
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Scholastic Success: C
To be happy at Ithaca, you really needBrightUndecided
To be happy at Ithaca, you really need to find your niche. When I first came here, I felt alone and bored, but once I found particular clubs that I enjoyed, I began making friends, and since then, I haven't really been bored. It's also important to find a place to live that meets your desires. If you don't like to walk a lot and you don't like a ton of parties every night, live in the quads. If you don't mind 7-minute walks to every building on campus and you love (almost) nightly parties, live in the terraces. The off-campus apartments and Emerson dorms are rather nice as well if you can pony up the dough.

In terms of education, as an exploratory student, I've gotten a pretty decent look at most of the departments. The arts are very well-funded and not easy to get into from what I understand. If you're good enough and are willing to work hard, you will get out what you put in. Computer science is another great department. All of the professors that I have had for computer science know what they're talking about and are very friendly and helpful. In terms of english and languages and mathematics, it's all pretty much what you'd expect. Nothing too fancy. However, all of the professors are very helpful. They give you their e-mails, phone numbers, sometimes their AIM screen names, and their office hours if you ever need help. On the whole, Ithaca's academics are impressive and pretty high quality.

Now for the not-so-impressive facet of Ithaca... The cost. At first, the rather high expense seems intimidating, but I can assure you that it's much worse than that. Ithaca has a really bad habit of nickel-and-dime-ing you to death. You have to pay for cable and internet access, parking permits cost you an arm and a leg, they hand out parking tickets like candy, and the expense just keeps going and going. Then they have the nerve to ask for donations from their alumni. They seriously need to think things through a little better.In conclusion, Ithaca is a fine institution with something for just about anybody... as long as you are willing to foot the bill.

1st Year Male -- Class 2009