StudentsReview :: Ithaca College - Comments and Student Experiences

Syracuse University -- Syracuse, NY

Ithaca College

General education: IC really cares about its undergraduateCommunications
General education: IC really cares about its undergraduate students. There are few graduate programs, so they really focus on undergrads, not just a bunch of big lecture halls so the profs can focus on grad students. The small class sizes and the individual focus the professors can give was the best part of the education I received.

Communications education: Communications professors were excellent and taught things in a practical manner that helped me on the job. Sometimes professors can get more academic/theoretical about their areas, but the IC communications professors taught you how to edit, write, etc for media in a hands-on, practical fashion. They did go over theories and academic analysis, but it was always combined with the practical how do I write for a broadcast side. Excellent, well rounded education -- they make you take a major outside communications to make sure you are getting exposed to things besides just media studies. Can't recommend it enough if you're looking to go into the media, I use what I learned there everyday. Social life: No frats, but it does have a reputation as a party school. I wasn't a big party person but I still managed to find people to hang out with. If you're not into parties the best way to meet people is to join a club with your interests and make friends there -- IC is really good about this -- lots of clubs for any activity you can think of. So even if you're not into partying you can still find your niche if you focus on your interests.

I am an Integrated Marketing Comm.BrightCommunications
I am an Integrated Marketing Comm. major in the Park School of Communications. My classes have been superior to many of my other friends' with similar majors at other universities. I love the small class sizes because the professors really get a chance to learn who you really are. In my lecture of 90 students, my professor knows me well and often looks to me for explanation of a difficult concept. Just like in high school, teachers love students who participate and add a level of depth to a class.

The students here are exceptionally friendly--most likely because there are many humble and sweet upstate NY students. There are also large populations from Boston and Northern NJ; these students are typically academically competitive due to their metropolitan culture. There is the perfect balance of personalities here and due to this mix, each person is able to take away certain admirable qualities. Personally, I have found that I am more friendly than before college. I also enjoy how many of the students will go out of their way to hold a door-- signs of respect and helpfulness.

The social life is not incredible, but it is not awful either. Because there is an absence of Greek Life, students often trudge to the Circle Apartments or off-campus houses for parties on the weekends. In the winter, this is brutal. Get a few good connections and get your own alcohol to throw your own parties.

The over-enrollment is very easy to see; the students who truly should not be going here have different attitudes and styles compared to the general IC demographic. It's hard to describe, but when juxtaposed to an average student, it's painfully clear to see. As years progress, I'm sure there will be transfers or drop-outs to alleviate this issue.Overall, I love IC. The college was my top choice specifically for the Park School and my academic and social life has flourished since my arrival.

1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B-
THe thing about Ithaca is what that youQuite BrightCommunications
THe thing about Ithaca is what that you either make it awesome or you make your life here miserable. I think it's all about the people you meet. the school's pretty small (3000), and my high school was about 2000. the point is, you see the same people around campus all the time, so people will make judgements and assumptions about you based on who you are friends with etc. I made some awesome friends. I partied a lot, and if you don't like drinking and smoking then...IC isn't the best choice. I slacked off in the academic department, but i still have to say i liked most of my classes and i learned a lot. I'm in the Park school, and it definitely is the best academic program at IC. most other people are in business, Physical tgherapy, health edu, etc. If you are studying humanities and such, do not come here. not worth your money at all.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012