The University of Maryland - College Park
The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences|
- RESOURCES: The resources are fantastic! Access to the scientific journals is great when writing 100s of research papers. I've written about 40-ish since I started my freshman year. It's great to have access to numerous publications.
- PERSISTENCE: This university will teach you independence. No one has your back here, so suck it up and go after what you need and want. Be persistent!
- INTERNSHIPS: Sooooo many jobs on the Career Center page. Plus a lot of places near campus that offer internships. Only thing is, you have to find it yourself. Don't be lazy, search for what you need!
- JEWS&GUIDOS: There are a lot of jews and guidos here. It's basically University of New Jersey at College Park. If those aren't your kind of people, then don't apply. If you like ugly or freaky Jewish girls and douchebag looking guidos, you'll loooooooove it here.
- ADVISING: You are just a number here. Even with mandatory advising, your adviser could still forget your name which is annoying when you're trying to get things done.
- REGISTERING FOR CLASSES: It's annoying trying to get into certain classes like BSCI105, BSCI301, BSCI440, CHEM241, PHYS121&122 stuff like that (pre-med courses). Those classes fill up so fast and you could be number 45 on the waiting list!
- WORKING: Finding work on campus, if you want, is a little difficult but once you find it the pay is pretty good.
- ADMINISTRATION: The administration is ridiculously annoying. A lot of people who give you a hard time are the work study kids. They always have attitudes and tell you incorrect information. Always double check with someone of greater authority.
- PARKING: Parking is annoying and the transportation services will ticket you for every single thing. They will stick you with a $75 ticket for some stupid stuff. - POLICE: A lot of people get raped, mugged, shot at, threatened, etc. However, if you run a stop sign you're more likely to see about seven police officers for that than if you report a more serious crime. I think, per semester about 50-65 people are raped and 85-100 people are mugged. However, the people that are raped and mugged are usually drunk kids out in Downtown College Park. So...if you're drunk, be careful!
I went to Maryland because I wanted to be part of a challenging academic program--unlike that of the provincial rural high school that I attended--and I found that challenge at Maryland. I have known, however, people who have gone onto great careers in research after starting out at small liberal arts colleges. So students do not necessarily need to attend huge research universities like Maryland in order to successfully embark on their career in science or engineering. Just find a college where you will be happy (which is a tought job in itself). The nominal status of your college is secondary. Nevertheless, University of Maryland at College Park is a good place to future scientists and engineers (especially if you are a Maryland resident)--if you don't mind attending a large university. My friends, my brother, and I, who got Maryland degrees in science and engineering have all done quite well. I had visited the Physics department a few years ago and saw that they still taught an introductory Physics courses for Physics majors which only had 30 or 40 students in each class. As I scientist I follow the research in science and engineering at Maryland and know many of the professors. They really do a lot of good research there. It is unusual for a univeristy to have stong research efforts in both science and engineering, but Maryland has all that.
Are you a student and about to sign the very first lease in your li... more→