StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - College Park

I only came to be closer to homeAverageOther
I only came to be closer to home and it was awful. People are rude and stupid. A lot of students have no class and behave like animals. The amount of scandals that have been under wraps is awful. They will do their best to not let things get out if possible. They care more about how shiny the campus appears than how the students really are. I wish I never went there but I had to. The only thing that got me through were my friends.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: C
I honestly cant recommend UMD to non minorityBrightAerospace Engineering
I honestly cant recommend UMD to non minority students. The social life is god awful. Most people suck, especially in the honors college. My two biggest regrets are not joining a fraternity and joining the honors college. But its too late now, my social life sucks, and im very seriously considering dropping out since i do nothing but sit around all day. Classes are very unengaging - i end up doing almost no work even though i have a ton of free time. The facilities are outdated. Possibly the worst dining services in the country. Useless gen-ed classes and lots of them. Terrible math department. I HATE UMD.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Individual Value: F
Your college life may consist of social life
Your college life may consist of social life and academics BUT it also consists of administrative and paperwork bullshit that you WILL have to deal with unless your mommy and daddy handle everything for you.

O.M.G - RUDEST and most incompetent fucking admin people EVER!!!!!!!!! (And I've been to another state school.) I'm thinking of returning to this school (what the hell is wrong with me?!) for another degree and I see that 2 years down along the line their admin people have not gotten ANY better. Wow.

When I first applied they claimed they didn't get like half of the SAT/SAT II scores that I sent over despite that I paid $45 a pop for those stupid reports. They lost a bunch of that paper work.

I initially got rejected because I was a transfer student and didn't have enough credits as a freshman to transfer. I appealed immediately. The guy I appealed to (tried to find his name but of course they hide that information so these people don't get slammed with inquiries and might actually have to do THEIR JOB) was RUDE. He flat out told me "not to bother" (literally his words) making an appointment with him because it was pointless. RUDE. I pressed on and scheduled it anyway to make my case. He decided to check his email at that moment after I sat there wringing my hands and making my case for 10 min and told me that I was accepted. Not sure why he couldn't have just LOOKED IN THE SYSTEM the night before meeting with me or WHATEVER and had to put me through weeks of anxiety just to tell me "the good news". Total asshole with such an air of self-importance that I have to laugh. You work as a university admin ... your importance is pretty low on the totem pole, guy.

This wasn't the end of it. I was a foreign student (who lived in america for more than 10 years at the time) and they wouldn't let me get the In-State tuition rate even though I had lived in the state for a few years at that point. They sent me away and told me to wait a year and come back to talk them. I waited patiently. A year later I found out this policy was REPEALED and I had been eligible for In-State tuition for about 4-5 months before. An entire semester before. No one called, emailed or sent a letter notifying me of this. I skipped an entire semester of school at UMD because I couldn't afford it and they forgot to mention this tiny detail.

When I was in the actual school one summer their system decided to sign me up for a math class that I didn't register for, randomly. I had NO idea. So, all summer this unpaid class accrued late penalties until I finally realized something was wrong and went to the university to resolve the issue. I talked to THE rudest bitch that worked in the Registrar's office who PRETTY much told me she couldn't help me. Her ANGEL of a coworker must have overheard the whole thing because when the rude bitch wasn't in the office (the SECOND time I came to talk to them about this issue) she offered to help me and got everything resolved in 30 minutes. All of this for a class I did NOT sign up for!

Now that I'm THINKING (writing this review I'm seriously reconsidering) going back for another degree they have sent me in CIRCLES trying to sign up for an informational workshop. That's ALL I want to do - just learn a little more about one of their programs, I'm not asking for the friggin sky here! I've talked to 3 different departments and exchanged like 20 emails and everyone keeps telling me "no I can't help you". DO YOU WANT MY MONEY OR NOT?!

God, please think twice about this place if you think that it's going to be easy to go to school here. If you are boring and typical and nothing exciting or unusual ever happens to you (this is college -do you really think your life is going to be like that??) then maybe your experience will be ok, but if you stand out in ANY way - fuck your life. I'm not going to even get started on their broish frat culture and disgustingly old facilities (we were sitting in tiny old wooden desks in a majority of the buildings on the mall). They have money to build huge stadiums but they don't have enough money to upgrade the furniture their students need to be able to study. I can't even.

The University of Maryland - College Park