StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - College Park

Your college life may consist of social life
Your college life may consist of social life and academics BUT it also consists of administrative and paperwork bullshit that you WILL have to deal with unless your mommy and daddy handle everything for you.

O.M.G - RUDEST and most incompetent fucking admin people EVER!!!!!!!!! (And I've been to another state school.) I'm thinking of returning to this school (what the hell is wrong with me?!) for another degree and I see that 2 years down along the line their admin people have not gotten ANY better. Wow.

When I first applied they claimed they didn't get like half of the SAT/SAT II scores that I sent over despite that I paid $45 a pop for those stupid reports. They lost a bunch of that paper work.

I initially got rejected because I was a transfer student and didn't have enough credits as a freshman to transfer. I appealed immediately. The guy I appealed to (tried to find his name but of course they hide that information so these people don't get slammed with inquiries and might actually have to do THEIR JOB) was RUDE. He flat out told me "not to bother" (literally his words) making an appointment with him because it was pointless. RUDE. I pressed on and scheduled it anyway to make my case. He decided to check his email at that moment after I sat there wringing my hands and making my case for 10 min and told me that I was accepted. Not sure why he couldn't have just LOOKED IN THE SYSTEM the night before meeting with me or WHATEVER and had to put me through weeks of anxiety just to tell me "the good news". Total asshole with such an air of self-importance that I have to laugh. You work as a university admin ... your importance is pretty low on the totem pole, guy.

This wasn't the end of it. I was a foreign student (who lived in america for more than 10 years at the time) and they wouldn't let me get the In-State tuition rate even though I had lived in the state for a few years at that point. They sent me away and told me to wait a year and come back to talk them. I waited patiently. A year later I found out this policy was REPEALED and I had been eligible for In-State tuition for about 4-5 months before. An entire semester before. No one called, emailed or sent a letter notifying me of this. I skipped an entire semester of school at UMD because I couldn't afford it and they forgot to mention this tiny detail.

When I was in the actual school one summer their system decided to sign me up for a math class that I didn't register for, randomly. I had NO idea. So, all summer this unpaid class accrued late penalties until I finally realized something was wrong and went to the university to resolve the issue. I talked to THE rudest bitch that worked in the Registrar's office who PRETTY much told me she couldn't help me. Her ANGEL of a coworker must have overheard the whole thing because when the rude bitch wasn't in the office (the SECOND time I came to talk to them about this issue) she offered to help me and got everything resolved in 30 minutes. All of this for a class I did NOT sign up for!

Now that I'm THINKING (writing this review I'm seriously reconsidering) going back for another degree they have sent me in CIRCLES trying to sign up for an informational workshop. That's ALL I want to do - just learn a little more about one of their programs, I'm not asking for the friggin sky here! I've talked to 3 different departments and exchanged like 20 emails and everyone keeps telling me "no I can't help you". DO YOU WANT MY MONEY OR NOT?!

God, please think twice about this place if you think that it's going to be easy to go to school here. If you are boring and typical and nothing exciting or unusual ever happens to you (this is college -do you really think your life is going to be like that??) then maybe your experience will be ok, but if you stand out in ANY way - fuck your life. I'm not going to even get started on their broish frat culture and disgustingly old facilities (we were sitting in tiny old wooden desks in a majority of the buildings on the mall). They have money to build huge stadiums but they don't have enough money to upgrade the furniture their students need to be able to study. I can't even.

I hate this school and I hate collegeBrightPhilosophy
I hate this school and I hate college park city. It is my fault since I decided to go to school so close to home but it was the cheapest option honestly if you don't have a concrete idea on what you want to do take a gap year! I'm black/mixed with an international background, have traveled all of my life until I got to Maryland where I stayed for 8 years. I wantnothing more then to leave this state yet I enrolled in college here becauseI really didn't have any other options. This was a bad idea not only did itleave me with no with ethic but it was a waste of time and my parents trust and resources. Anyway UMD is boring if you dpnt share the common American interests of sports fraternities and repetitive bars. if you are very outgoing which I am not,I'm sure you will be she to find a more satisfying use of time than I did but if you are at all cultures out unimpressed by sub standard partying and entitled ugly girls then I guarantee you will find yourself conforming to have fun. I really think that my experience is a bit unique and as a result maybe you should not put asmuch weight into this review however I will say that overall I had a bad experience. I would have much rather gone to school somewhere in Europe for a fraction of the cost or a state with a significant international population. I am black to the university and although I did bit experience any racism directly I could definitely feel it. Parties are very weary in allowing minorities into there parties and for good reason. Many of the black student body are just plain irritating and can be violent. Seriously I think black people have a harder time here not because whites are intolerant but because other blacks have given such a bad reputation. The other problem is the surrounding area. College park is a shit hole,I've never been jumped ot threatened because I'm over6foot and black but I can see how others may feel intimidated. The minorities who live in collegepark can be straight up violent and I would assume that some parties cannot tell the difference. I would say if you are black but do notfit in the black culture i.e ask your friends are black then go to somewhere else like California or somewhere with a smaller black population.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F
This is a VERY big school.BrightPublic Health
This is a VERY big school. If you live on north campus there is a 20 minute walk to classes on the Mall. Most of your tuition is spend building new stuff , from buildings to the flowers on the ground. Which the grounds get maintained every other week and once a week during the hot months. Making friend is okay , if you are greek it becomes 10xs more easier but generally there is a friend for everyone. Outside of that , not so much. You cant really find a group of people that easily. Most people who come here know at least one person already.Classes are HUGE, especially most gen eds you have to pay extra attention if your professor does not speak English. Another thing is that it lives up to its name . CP is a very big party school . Actually if there is ever a thing of partying too much they take the cake. Most people have fake Id's so that is a way they happen to get into stuff. It's not a bad school you just have to find your place here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018