StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - College Park

I really appreciated my time at Maryland.Not so brightSociology
I really appreciated my time at Maryland. I thought it would be hard to make friends since I transferred from out-of-state and I was living off campus. But it was surprisingly easy. I live in an apartment complex that is a 3 minute drive or a 15 minute walk to campus. There are about 5 off-campus apartment complexes filled with students and that makes it easy to make friend. I also joined organizations. As a black male, I think it's important to join things like NAACP, Black Student Union, and other orgs like that because black people only make up 13% of the student body. And it can really freak you out if you have no one to talk to about your specific thoughts and problems. The large diversity here has allowed me to better appreciate different cultures. But it has been hard to make friends with the white community. I've met some great white people but there are a lot of subtle hints of racism. The black and white communities, rarely if ever, collaborate on events. The white sororities and fraternities are very hesitant to let a group of black people into their parties. My friends and I have been turned away to a couple parties and we ended up giving up on them all together. It's nice having DC 15 minutes away. It's important to note that grading here is very difficult. The most minor things will get your grade reduced. I now tell people that "if you want an A at Maryland, you have to be able to teach the course like the professor would." Campus is beautiful and there are a lot of fun things to do.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Scholastic Success: C
Overall, UMD is a large, above average (academically)BrightComputer Engineering
Overall, UMD is a large, above average (academically) public research university. That being said, it's easy to get swallowed up in the sea of students. In order to make friends, you have to join some kind of group because everyone is pretty cliquey. It's not too hard to though unless you're really anti-social because there are tons of clubs and greek life is prevalent. I didn't go in expecting much in terms of social life because I'm majoring in computer engineering and a lot of the students are the typical introverted geeks you'd expect them to be. The athletic programs are great here though and it's fun to go to all of the games, football, basketball, lacrosse, etc. With computer engineering, you'll get a TA that doesn't speak English well about 1/4th of the time but the professors all know what they are talking about and for the most part teach well (there's always a few bad ones no matter where you go). The TA's and professors try their best to help out the students, especially if you personally ask. I don't regret coming here because it's cheap for me (in-state, presidential scholarship) and I'm learning a lot academically. The social life was never a huge part to me because I still have made a few good friends and don't go to lots of parties anyways. I would recommend anyone considering UMD to give it a good chance and possibly visit as any kind of person could succeed and have a good time here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A, Individual Value: C+
Positive:BrightAnthropology
Positive:
- PROFESSORS: Your professors are really helpful if you stalk them into submission. Meaning, you basically have to hunt them down and beg them to answer your questions. Professors of smaller courses are easier to get in touch with but forget it if you need questions answered for orgo, biochem, or cell bio.

- RESOURCES: The resources are fantastic! Access to the scientific journals is great when writing 100s of research papers. I've written about 40-ish since I started my freshman year. It's great to have access to numerous publications.

- PERSISTENCE: This university will teach you independence. No one has your back here, so suck it up and go after what you need and want. Be persistent!

- INTERNSHIPS: Sooooo many jobs on the Career Center page. Plus a lot of places near campus that offer internships. Only thing is, you have to find it yourself. Don't be lazy, search for what you need!

Negative:
- JEWS&GUIDOS: There are a lot of jews and guidos here. It's basically University of New Jersey at College Park. If those aren't your kind of people, then don't apply. If you like ugly or freaky Jewish girls and douchebag looking guidos, you'll loooooooove it here.

- ADVISING: You are just a number here. Even with mandatory advising, your adviser could still forget your name which is annoying when you're trying to get things done.

- REGISTERING FOR CLASSES: It's annoying trying to get into certain classes like BSCI105, BSCI301, BSCI440, CHEM241, PHYS121&122 stuff like that (pre-med courses). Those classes fill up so fast and you could be number 45 on the waiting list!

- WORKING: Finding work on campus, if you want, is a little difficult but once you find it the pay is pretty good.

- ADMINISTRATION: The administration is ridiculously annoying. A lot of people who give you a hard time are the work study kids. They always have attitudes and tell you incorrect information. Always double check with someone of greater authority.

- PARKING: Parking is annoying and the transportation services will ticket you for every single thing. They will stick you with a $75 ticket for some stupid stuff. - POLICE: A lot of people get raped, mugged, shot at, threatened, etc. However, if you run a stop sign you're more likely to see about seven police officers for that than if you report a more serious crime. I think, per semester about 50-65 people are raped and 85-100 people are mugged. However, the people that are raped and mugged are usually drunk kids out in Downtown College Park. So...if you're drunk, be careful!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011