StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - College Park

College Park is a shitty place to be,Quite BrightEngineering Department
College Park is a shitty place to be, I would never live anywhere near here if I wasn't going to UMD.

Academically it's pretty much exactly what you would expect from a state flagship university. Don't go out of state for UMD but if you're in state and don't want to pay for a better college (if you can get into UMD you can get in somewhere better than here) it's an alright option. A degree from here will get you just as far as one from any other state flagship university.

4th Year Male -- Class 2009
Honestly, seeing all the negative reviews on hereQuite BrightPsychology
Honestly, seeing all the negative reviews on here after I applied to UMD, I was a bit scared to come here even though it was my first choice school at the time. Now after spending a whole semester here (and damn glad I got accepted), I am really wondering where all these negative comments have came from. I guess it's true what they say-college is what you make of it. I can say that some negative comments (such as crime on campus and the relationship between students and professors) do have some truth to them, but only to a certain extent. The rest of the negative comments on here are just complete b.s. in my opinion and I'm glad I did not let them persuade me into not coming here.

To start off I am a black female from out-of-state. Speaking on diversity at this school-there is alot of it! There is a place for everybody at this school to fit in. I will admit there is some clique-iness around (other races only hanging out with themselves, etc.) but we don't live in a post-racial world in my opinion so there will always be things like that until we do. But there are more groups of diverse friends than anything else here. I haven't seen any racism here and I'm going to go ahead and say it's because UMD's student population is made up of mostly open-minded people than close-minded people. Not saying that there aren't any close-minded people here-but you would have to try pretty damn hard to run into some. Now speaking on being an out-of-stater, I read the comments here about "if you are an out-of-stater don't come here-it isn't worth the money" and "you won't have any friends if you come here from another state because half of the people here came with alot of people from their high school" and other comments along that line. When I read that back during my senior year in high school, I got turned off from coming here even more. There are people that have their high school friends here-but that is not the majority of people here from what I've seen. Maybe it is true of the freshman class but the people of every other class I've met (and I've met alot this semester) don't really talk about their high school friends at all. And just because people here do have friends from their high school does not mean they don't want to make friends with other people-they do. I can honestly say that I have made more friends (better friends at that) here at UMD in the last 3 months than I have in my hometown all 18 years of my life. Do take advantage of clubs and organizations-if you don't then do expect the other negative reviews to start looking like the truth. Like they say-it is all what you make of it.

Now for the whole "being a number in a classroom"-it will only happen if you let it happen. Teachers and T.A.s almost always have office hours-use them to your advantage. That is how you don't become a number. There will (not often) be that one teacher that doesn't have office hours because "that's what your t.a.'s office hours are for" (I actually had a teacher say that to the 300+ class I'm in). But if that happens, the next best thing is the t.a. and I advise you to take advantage of their office hours.

The crime on campus-at the beginning of the year they were just stupid things that would make you say "And that person was doing that why?" and they were usually crimes that were the victims fault-like going upstairs with your bf at a party to "sleep", waking up to getting groped by a man that was not your bf, and calling the police several hours after the incident happened. Now before thanksgiving is when the crimes started getting a bit more serious. There was an armed robbery outside of my hall the week before thanksgiving break (which was not during the usual said crime hours of 12:00-4:00 but at at least 10:00 going on 11:00), and two more during that following weekend that were not during the usual crime hours either. Just always have 1+ people walking with you at night time wherever you go-especially if you are walking from north to south campus because south campus tends be deserted earlier then north campus does. And always keep a close eye on your stuff-especially at parties. I have a friend that went to her friend's friend's party and because it was a friend of a friend she thought it was ok to set her stuff down for two minutes. Her wallet and her phone got taken and she had to have everything replaced from her id card to her credit card. Common sense-don't lay your stuff out in the open unless you are going to have your eye on it.Aside from the crime-there is nothing about this school that is bad in my opinion. Everybody is friendly, there are so many resources around to help you, and there is a niche for everyone-whether it be partiers, people who are big into academics, atheletes, etc. And the best part about that is that a lot of these groups tend to mix-and you will see people fit into more than one group. Like I said-it is diverse. Coming to UMD has been the best decision I have made in my life so far and I can't wait to see what the rest of my years here will be like. It is worth every penny.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C
I have been at Maryland for two yearsNot so brightAgriculture/Horticulture
I have been at Maryland for two years now and am finally transferring. I never saw myself here but made a last minute decision to go here after getting rejected or wait listed by my top schools. I started off as an architecture major, but I felt that the other students in the program were only doing it to get a job that seemingly paid well, and the faculty was often condescending and somewhat close-minded. I switched to environmental science, only to find enormous science classes with professors who are also researchers and therefore have very little time to devote to their students. And of course, many math and science TA's don't speak very much English -- that being said, I have no problem understanding them, but I find they have trouble understanding me when I ask questions. Even the first weekend at school, everyone already had friends and weren't about to leave their clique to meet new people (girls on my hall used to come into my room mostly to just borrow clothes). The school didn't make it any better by not providing enough well-advertised events for freshmen to meet each other. People here really seem content to settle for less than their best in many aspects of their careers as students. I think the only people who may be happy here are those involved in Greek life, but the process to join a sorority are superficial and there are so many girls rushing that no one can actually get to know each other, and the decision ends up being based on looks or clothes.However, people in sororities and fraternities seem pretty comfortable there. Other than that, extracurricular activities (and many school-run events) are either ill-attended or disorganized. I think it really is possible for SOME people to be happy here, but I recommend applicants know for sure what they want before they come. This school is big - it's easy to blend if you're into that but if you put in a TON of effort, you may get to know some professors. There is some "school spirit," but most sporting events are just excuses for people to get embarrassingly drunk and miss the whole game (not true fans, if you ask me).
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013