StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - College Park

The University of Maryland's business program is phenomenal.Super BrilliantFinance
The University of Maryland's business program is phenomenal. They give you real world experience in visiting and speaking with a variety of companies and providing you access to alumni in a wide range of occupations, which has proven invaluable in finding a job. I credit my time at Maryland for my success thus far and I would recommend it for any ambitious student.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-
The University of MarylandSuper BrilliantFinance
The University of Maryland has enormous and wonderful opportunities. There is always something to do or someone to meet if you are willing to make the effort.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2007
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
I love the University of Maryland.Quite BrightFinance
I love the University of Maryland. I am really glad I came here. I got into other "more prestigous" schools such as Vanderbilt, Emory, and the University of Michigan. However, UMD really sold me. When I visited I was in awe over the quality of the business school. In addition, the university has constantly been on the rise for the past several years and will most likely continue to rise. Especially the top programs such as business, engineering, government, journalism, education, and some of the other limited enrollment programs are all top notch (in the top 25). The honors program is spectacular. The professors in the program are great and care about their students. Most of them are professionals in the area they teach. For example the prof of the honors seminar about stem cells and science ethical issues is a leading expert at NIH. Also Shibley Telhami teaches a course about the middle east and terrorism and is a leading expert on the issue and has advised past presidents and is featured in the news. All of my professors first semester are great (one could be more interesting). If you are smart you will thrive here, it is much more challenging than I could have ever expected it to be. I love how my government professor really challenged us to think about whether or not our constitution really is democratic.

Regarding social life, it is great. There is a lot to do here whether it is sports, clubs, frat row and parties, or going into DC. Football and basketball are big here but not everyone likes it. So it doesn't matter if you don't as many people go to the games to socialize. People are usually very friendly. The party scene is a lot of fun and if you don't like to drink there is still PLENTY to do. For example just last weekend, several of my friends went to DC to a concert. Being so close to DC is one of the best perks a school can have. The campus is beautiful and is constantly being improved upon. Many things are being renovated and the university has an ambitious plan for renovation and construction.

Now for the negatives: safety, this issue is a little blown out of proportion. Safety ON campus is great. Sure you should take precautions, but most of the crime occurs off campus in more secluded areas. If you live in university on campus housing you are fine. It's more of an issue at the apartments and houses a few minutes off campus. But there are always people out at night so if you are in a group things should be fine.

Parking is not great, but supposedly at most universities it isn't. I don't have a car and don't need one. Its not bad waking around campus or down to route one. The shuttle service has been ranked in the top 10 nationwide and is excellent.

Budget cuts and tuition hikes are occurring more frequently with the current governor but still it is not that bad. Education here is still cheaper than private schools and for instate dramatically cheaper about half the cost. Many kids get scholarships too. Overall I could not be any happier about my choice. Everyone I know here absolutely loves it with a few exceptions and those kids are upset about the social life (generally are out of state). If you want a great education at a university that is rising in prominence and is at a great cost go to UMD college park. Especially if you are in one of those top programs that I mentioned. Also if you are instate why go anywhere else. NOTE THAT IF YOU ARE GOING TO GRAD SCHOOL IT IS ADVISED TO SAVE THE MONEY FOR THAT. grad school is more expensive than undergrad and matters more for jobs that require it. If you succeed at undergrad you shouldn't have trouble getting into a top grad school. GOOD LUCK!

1st Year Male -- Class 2008