StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - College Park

I graduated this past December with my Bachelor'sQuite BrightSocial Work
I graduated this past December with my Bachelor's in Family Studies, because I was told at orientation that I had too many transfer credits to enter into the Elementary Education program. I chose this school because of the education program, so being told I needed to "pick another major" left a sour taste in my mouth about the school. I finished the Family Studies program and am now enrolled in a master's program for elementary ed. Overall, College Park is a pretty good school. The campus is large and I felt very anonymous, but I didn't make that much of an effort to get involved. Parking can be a nightmare, and it can take half an hour to drive across campus in between classes (beware - people will walk right in front of your car). Good classes fill up very quickly. On the upside, I had some fantastic professors who I learned a great deal from and really enjoyed listening to. The Family Studies faculty was excellent as well and really believed in what they were teaching. I am fairly neutral about this school. I am pleased with the education I got, but would probably have picked a smaller school if I had the chance to do it all over again.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2004
Faculty Accessibility: A, Surrounding City: D-
This is a VERY big school.BrightPublic Health
This is a VERY big school. If you live on north campus there is a 20 minute walk to classes on the Mall. Most of your tuition is spend building new stuff , from buildings to the flowers on the ground. Which the grounds get maintained every other week and once a week during the hot months. Making friend is okay , if you are greek it becomes 10xs more easier but generally there is a friend for everyone. Outside of that , not so much. You cant really find a group of people that easily. Most people who come here know at least one person already.Classes are HUGE, especially most gen eds you have to pay extra attention if your professor does not speak English. Another thing is that it lives up to its name . CP is a very big party school . Actually if there is ever a thing of partying too much they take the cake. Most people have fake Id's so that is a way they happen to get into stuff. It's not a bad school you just have to find your place here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Innovation: A+, Surrounding City: C
Let's start with the positives.Quite BrightEconomics
Let's start with the positives...
There are a lot of excellent students here who are driven to succeed and want to get ahead in life. The surrounding city of Washington, DC only fuels this because of the job opportunities during school and after school. Everyone is competitive and wants to get ahead.

Many Maryland students have started their own successful companies while at school here due to our organized entrepeneurship living/learning program.

The campus looks nice to me, It is clean and the mall is beautiful. The Business school and the Computer Science building are both first rate facilities. The Student Union has a ton of resources and is also a great facility.

Okay now let's get into the negatives...
The town of College Park is a complete dump. Prince George's is one of the worst African-American ghettoes in America and College Park is right in the middle of the worst part of Prince George's County. It does not make out well. Our downtown is not developed and not many people want to move into our downtown due to the surrounding area. Most downtown businesses get robbed here and it is something that is expected. We have had several MURDERS on campus in the past 3-4 years. We hear about robberies every 2 weeks. What is shocking is that some of these are not due to stupidity... they are occuring in daylight in well lit and traveled areas. There was a student here who got jumped WALKING to class in the middle of the afternoon a few weeks ago. There was a couple girls who got their car jacked in the middle of the afternoon in the largest parking lot on campus a month or so ago. 12 people got robbed simultaneously at the College Park Metro station.

Even if you do not get robbed or killed while you are in College Park, you can probably count on your car getting broken into and someone you know getting robbed or killed.

The University and the Police have no regard for the student body in this aspect. Fraternity Row is an area of campus that is very well light and considered "on campus". It is one of the safest areas since it always has people awake and around. The University restricts Greek system parties so heavily that it has pushed the party scene off into the surrounding town of College Park. This leads to even further crime at the dangerous times after dark.

The surrounding area is not something you want to tell your parents or boyfriend/girlfriend to come check out. None of the workers in the town of College Park speak proper English. Most of the surrounding towns have the same problem. You will have problems sometimes just ordering food because most workers at local establishments are new immigrants from Africa or East Asia.Overall, I have a hard time saying it, but I like my experience at College Park. Coming from a very sheltered suburban background, I have been exposed to all sorts of different people. The University of Maryland is one of the most diverse campuses in America. I have had many experiences here that are not pleasant at all - but I have become a better person from all of them. College is half what you are handed, and half how you deal with it.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2006