StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - College Park

The advising sucks.BrightNutrition
The advising sucks. They dont tell you ANYTHING you need to know in order to graduate on time unless you ask them VERY SPECIFIC questions. Does very little to prepare student for the future or the "real world"

housing is horrible. All seniors and most juniors get kicked out of housing so your forced to pay rent for 12 months to insanely jaded and incompetent landlords and private apartments. So you have to pay ridiculous rates year round even if you live out of state and are only here for 8 months unlike other schools that provide university run off-campus housing services

Faculty is horrible. Treats you like a number. Never respond to emails adequately and completly ignores you once evaluations have been submitted. Too many adjucts.

Social life is alright. A lot of parties and such. Good if your into that kind of stuff.
One good thing that I got out of all this is that this school forces you to become a lot more indpendent since you'll find that no one will be helping you with ANYTHING, youll be left in the dark most of the time and you forced to figure things out on your own A LOT. In conclusion, this schools goal really is to maintain busy curriculums especially for science majors with very little grounds for why you have so much work to distract the students from their poor advising and faculty. UMCP REALLY REALLY REALLY just wants to make as much money as possible. Once youre in, the only attention you'll be getting is the invoices

4th Year Female -- Class 2009
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Faculty Accessibility: F
I have been at Maryland for two yearsNot so brightAgriculture/Horticulture
I have been at Maryland for two years now and am finally transferring. I never saw myself here but made a last minute decision to go here after getting rejected or wait listed by my top schools. I started off as an architecture major, but I felt that the other students in the program were only doing it to get a job that seemingly paid well, and the faculty was often condescending and somewhat close-minded. I switched to environmental science, only to find enormous science classes with professors who are also researchers and therefore have very little time to devote to their students. And of course, many math and science TA's don't speak very much English -- that being said, I have no problem understanding them, but I find they have trouble understanding me when I ask questions. Even the first weekend at school, everyone already had friends and weren't about to leave their clique to meet new people (girls on my hall used to come into my room mostly to just borrow clothes). The school didn't make it any better by not providing enough well-advertised events for freshmen to meet each other. People here really seem content to settle for less than their best in many aspects of their careers as students. I think the only people who may be happy here are those involved in Greek life, but the process to join a sorority are superficial and there are so many girls rushing that no one can actually get to know each other, and the decision ends up being based on looks or clothes.However, people in sororities and fraternities seem pretty comfortable there. Other than that, extracurricular activities (and many school-run events) are either ill-attended or disorganized. I think it really is possible for SOME people to be happy here, but I recommend applicants know for sure what they want before they come. This school is big - it's easy to blend if you're into that but if you put in a TON of effort, you may get to know some professors. There is some "school spirit," but most sporting events are just excuses for people to get embarrassingly drunk and miss the whole game (not true fans, if you ask me).
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Individual Value: F
I graduated this past December with my Bachelor'sQuite BrightSocial Work
I graduated this past December with my Bachelor's in Family Studies, because I was told at orientation that I had too many transfer credits to enter into the Elementary Education program. I chose this school because of the education program, so being told I needed to "pick another major" left a sour taste in my mouth about the school. I finished the Family Studies program and am now enrolled in a master's program for elementary ed. Overall, College Park is a pretty good school. The campus is large and I felt very anonymous, but I didn't make that much of an effort to get involved. Parking can be a nightmare, and it can take half an hour to drive across campus in between classes (beware - people will walk right in front of your car). Good classes fill up very quickly. On the upside, I had some fantastic professors who I learned a great deal from and really enjoyed listening to. The Family Studies faculty was excellent as well and really believed in what they were teaching. I am fairly neutral about this school. I am pleased with the education I got, but would probably have picked a smaller school if I had the chance to do it all over again.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2004