StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - College Park - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - College Park

Honestly, I don't know why there have beenAverageOther
Honestly, I don't know why there have been a number of negative reviews lately about this school. Too many bitter students...? Depending on your major, attending this school will be challenging, but let's be honest. We're talking about college. We're not in high school anymore, and if you're planning on an easy four years, then this school (or any school?) isn't right for you. Obviously classes will be harder depending on your major (bio, engineering, envsci, etc), so I really don't think anyone has the right to complain about that.

As for social life, there are plenty of things to do and people to meet here. I didn't meet as many friends as I hoped to my freshman year because I was stuck in a primarily-sophomore dorm, but I still met a couple of people that I connected with. This year I met so many more. Honestly sometimes you just have to go out of your comfort zone and go ahead and introduce yourself; that's how I met almost everyone this year, and we're all such good friends now. Before attending this school, I was super shy and reserved. Most of the time RAs will have activities to introduce you to your hallmates, and you'll end up being extremely good friends very quickly, so there's really nothing to worry about in that aspect. Plus, people here are always willing to go out and play games, sports, or just plain hang out watching tv or playing video games. Sunny days at Maryland are the best because students will just be out on the mall enjoying the weather (biggest mall in the nation, btw).

Back to classes... Teachers are almost always there to help you. if not, there are guided study sessions, TA hours, free tutoring services. There are a variety of ways to get help if you are struggling in a class; many people form study groups (and I highly recommend that because some of the classes here are impossible to survive without one). Come to Maryland.. you won't regret it! I sure don't.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Individual Value: D+
I have been at Maryland for two yearsNot so brightAgriculture/Horticulture
I have been at Maryland for two years now and am finally transferring. I never saw myself here but made a last minute decision to go here after getting rejected or wait listed by my top schools. I started off as an architecture major, but I felt that the other students in the program were only doing it to get a job that seemingly paid well, and the faculty was often condescending and somewhat close-minded. I switched to environmental science, only to find enormous science classes with professors who are also researchers and therefore have very little time to devote to their students. And of course, many math and science TA's don't speak very much English -- that being said, I have no problem understanding them, but I find they have trouble understanding me when I ask questions. Even the first weekend at school, everyone already had friends and weren't about to leave their clique to meet new people (girls on my hall used to come into my room mostly to just borrow clothes). The school didn't make it any better by not providing enough well-advertised events for freshmen to meet each other. People here really seem content to settle for less than their best in many aspects of their careers as students. I think the only people who may be happy here are those involved in Greek life, but the process to join a sorority are superficial and there are so many girls rushing that no one can actually get to know each other, and the decision ends up being based on looks or clothes.However, people in sororities and fraternities seem pretty comfortable there. Other than that, extracurricular activities (and many school-run events) are either ill-attended or disorganized. I think it really is possible for SOME people to be happy here, but I recommend applicants know for sure what they want before they come. This school is big - it's easy to blend if you're into that but if you put in a TON of effort, you may get to know some professors. There is some "school spirit," but most sporting events are just excuses for people to get embarrassingly drunk and miss the whole game (not true fans, if you ask me).
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Individual Value: F
The University of Maryland presents itself as notAverageBiology
The University of Maryland presents itself as not being one of those big school, when in reality it very well is a big school. I have been at the University of Maryland for less than a year and hate it. The social life on campus sucks unless you are in a frat. Due to the vastness of the school it is hard to find people who are willing to make friends and who you are willing to have as friends. Overall, there isn't much of an intelligence here. There are no intellectual conversations and the classes are so big that you could never have a dialogue with your teachers or fellow peers. In conclusion, the University of Maryland is a terrible choice of a school and if I could choose all over again I would. I am proud to say that I will be transferring out at the end of the year.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014